It’s Good to be Green
Port Annapolis Marina is one of the northeastern United States’ premier sailing attractions, offering quick and convenient access to the Chesapeake Bay and its many adjoining historic properties. The marina’s friendly accommodations in this regard are only enhanced further by the many amenities available on site. These include a large swimming pool, as well as the Overlook Pavilion, which is suitable for a wide range of events (including weddings, reunions, and corporate meetings). Port Annapolis also offers putt-putt golf, and features the on-site Cafe Windward and Ships Store. Port Annapolis Marina is thick with local color, but it looks positively stunning in green. It is one of the most environmentally friendly marinas in the eastern United States, a fact that continues to draw new tenants and pool members to its pristine and lovely environment each year.
How Port Annapolis Marina is Environmentally Friendly
Some of the marina’s environmentally friendly aspects will seem obvious, though no less profound, upon reflection. Others might catch you a little bit by surprise. The marina is proud of the innovative way in which it is acting, in partnership with other organizations and the community at large, to preserve the overall health and quality of the environment that is so deeply cherished by hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.
- Wind, Surf, and Sail: Port Annapolis Marina offers a safe harbor for sailboats of every kind. A boat ride powered by a steady wind – with the occasional support of some manual labor – can take you from one end of the Chesapeake to the other. Or, you can spend a leisurely afternoon cruising, with no particular rush to reach your destination. You’re avoiding the use of fossil fuels, and enjoying the quiet tranquility of the open water – without the use of a noisy motor.
- Oyster Restoration: The marina has partnered with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s Oyster Restoration Project. A keystone species within the bay, oysters are a critical part of the food chain and a major contributor to the bay’s overall purity and economic viability. Their reefs offer many other species of marine life a home, and the oysters themselves help to filter sand and sediment from the water – improving its cleanliness and clarity. Port Annapolis Marina has partnered with the CBF in boosting public awareness of its multiple programs, such as the Oyster Gardening Program, which are designed to boost community awareness as to the importance of oyster conservation.
- Vegetated Buffer Zones: In many marinas across the developed world, storm-related runoff is a major source of pollution for the water. Port Annapolis Marina has helped to reduce this problem through the planting of strategically located vegetated buffer zones. These zones are maintained with permanent, year-round vegetation. They help to trap runoff from storms and unexpectedly high precipitation. This keeps sediment, pesticides, and nutrients that are beneficial to ground-dwelling fauna (but not so much to aquatic species) from entering the water.
- Product-Related Concerns: Port Annapolis Marina works tirelessly to educate its employees in the promotion of environmentally
friendly products. Signage and documentation available at the marina offer suggestions and advice on environmentally friendly products to use during your visit. Receptacles for trash and recyclables are widely available, and are fastidiously maintained. Only dust-free sanders are allowed for work on boats, and substances such as motor oil, antifreeze, shrink wraps, and heavy metals are recycled religiously. During the wintertime, they actually heat the service shop using 100% recycled oil. In fact, some of Port Annapolis’ still-innovative recycling programs are more than fifteen years old!
- Community Awareness: More recently, the marina has partnered with Annapolis Green to further educate the public about how to enjoy their facilities in a more environmentally friendly way. This kind of partnership has led to events such as “Do Good Have Fun,” which took place in July of 2014. Port Annapolis Marina partnered with Bud Light, Keep America Beautiful, and Annapolis Green for the event, which involved the cleanup of the Ellen O. Moyer Back Creek Nature Park next door to Port Annapolis, and a free lunch, courtesy of The Main Ingredient! The cleanup went well, and more community events are in the works for the future.
- Dual Pump Out Carts: Nobody wants to think about this, but here’s the deal: if you own a boat with a holding tank, at some point you’re
going to have to empty it out. Port Annapolis Marina maintains two pump out carts for maximum efficiency, as well as offering instructions and training in how to use them properly – so as to minimize your chances of creating a very unpleasant mess. Pump out carts are an environmentally friendly solution to the handling of human waste in an aquatic environment; they convey it safely and securely to the land-based sewage treatment system. The carts are free to use, for tenant convenience.
Port Annapolis has been recognized by the Department of Natural Resources as a Certified Clean Marina. For more information about Port Annapolis Marina, including its many environmentally friendly initiatives and community partnerships, call (410) 269-1990 today. Or, fill out the convenient contact form on the website, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. Should you feel like dropping by, directions are available through the website as well.